Myth: You certainly need to learn a language in the country

When I visited Germany first time in my life, I had already learnt German for two and a half years at my university in Russia.

One day I was invited there to the birthday party of an old man (he had even been a soldier of Wehrmacht), who made a compliment to me. He said that I spoke German perfectly and he didn't believe that I had never been in Germany before. He just couldn't believe that a person could speak the language so well without learning it in the country of the language. He didn't know that I had been to Kazakhstan and Ukraine before but I couldn't speak their languages at all at that time. Actually this former German soldier couldn't speak Russian either in spite of the fact that he had spent several years fighting on the Eastern front.

I'd love to have learnt German in Germany, but if it is not possible, the language can be mastered in any other country as well. Textbooks, dictionaries and tutors are available now almost in any country, especially nowadays in the era of the Internet.

When I learnt German, there was no Internet yet. Now it is much easier to learn languages without visiting the country of the language. You can watch movies in the language you learn, listen to audiobooks and songs in this language, communicate with people who speak this language etc. You can immerse yourself in the language as if you were in the country of the language.